Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cops and Public Safety


Funk’s View
There is no greater concern to me as your Mayor than making our streets safe.  There is no more direct way to do so than to have a greater police presence in city neighborhoods.  Kansas City residents agree, and tell me so almost every day.

In addition to your right to feel safe in your own home, the perception that Kansas City is not as safe as it could be has put a stranglehold on the city’s economic growth. Crime, or the perception that city neighborhoods aren’t safe, is one of the primary reasons residents give for moving away.  Public safety goes beyond saving lives and property.

Study after study has shown that increasing police presence in neighborhoods is a sure way to generate economic development. Study after study has shown that every dollar spent to put cops on the street leads to a 500 percent return in economic development.

When Kansas City feels safer, more people will move or remain here. And when they do, businesses and jobs will follow. And with more people living here and demanding that our schools are top quality, the quicker our education system will also turn around.  As you can see, this is a symbiotic relationship.  You have to focus on all the moving parts in order to produce a snowball effect of change.

Funk on the Job
Since the day I was sworn in, I have fought for your desire to increase the number of police on city streets.

Last year, I voted against the city’s budget because it included a $15 million cut in our police budget. I was the lone vote fighting for more cops.  This year, I fought for new legislation in Jefferson City to use our Public Safety Sales Tax to hire more officers. We won that right.

Funk’s Action Plan
I’m not done yet. I will continue to support our police department and our police officers, both as Mayor and through my seat on the police board.

Next we need to seek grants and look for other financial opportunities to increase the number of police in city neighborhoods.

I will never give up on something this important to the health and wellbeing of our city.  We will win this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment